Tuesday, May 23, 2017
This morning, I was able to do the replant at the Burke farm, where the heavy rains had drowned the soybeans. At one time we thought we’d need to replant the entire farm location, but today had better news, for only 39.5 acres required the drill to put in more seed. Ross also replanted corn in the bottoms of WASCoBs at the Harry farm. He now only has couple acres to replant, and that will probably happen next week. The remaining soybean fields for replant are the ones flooded by White River, and we hope that can begin next week also. There will be some days’ work needed to replant those soybeans.
One step at a time…
Monday May 22, 2017
When someone asks if we’re working in the fields, the answer today is “Yes and No.” Yes, John is able to be spraying in the corn crop today, but no, we are not able to replant. The fields that remain to be replanted are still too muddy. I’ll check again Tuesday morning to see if enough drying has occurred at the Burke farm, but the other fields that were flooded by White River are several days off.
If John has a good, productive day today, he will be able to say the corn spraying is finished.
John is working at the Steen farm this morning… in the JD 4730 sprayer, putting down the second pass of herbicide.
Friday, May 19, 2017
Replanting of soybeans is still the agenda item of the day. We are nearly ‘caught up’ to the flooded acres along White River. It has been a very good week of #replant17. Even though it is disappointing to see your ‘first planting’ not be successful, we must remind ourselves that it is still relatively early to plant soybeans. White River has receded within its banks, leaving some debris and pockets of standing water. We will soon go to the river-flooded acres to survey what is possible.
Our main concern with the river is the place where the levee was breached at the Nellie farm, leaving major damage and sand deposits. It will take some time to evaluate the situation, and determine the way forward for that location.
Ross did some replanting of corn yesterday, but there have been very few acres of corn damaged by the flooding. He was not able to complete that because of some standing water at Huey, and he will return there to finish when it finally dries.
John is out in the sprayer today to put a post-emerge application of herbicide on corn acres. He has been prevented from making spray progress by the recent days of high winds, but this morning, the window of opportunity is open.
John makes a pass on the Cox hill field. We hope this corn is “laid by”–which means all treatments are complete until harvest.
A rainy weekend is predicted, so we will monitor that.
Step by step, we keep pushing ahead.
Tuesday, May 16, 2017
We finished up our soybean planting on Monday evening, by working at the Lett farm. I can admit to being a little surprised that the soil there was dry enough to plant soybeans. But by 7pm, with the completion of that location, we could say that #plant17 was complete!
Yesterday morning I toured most of our soybean fields with an adjuster from crop insurance. He was there to document the necessity of our replant claim. They will assist with the cost of replanting…and it’s a good thing…we found more acres to replant than I had anticipated!
After completing Lett last night, I merely crossed the big ditch to the Watjen farm and began the replanting of soybeans at that farm. I worked a little extra late, and got done there and moved the machine home. There will be many upcoming days like that where I will be replanting soybeans. The floods of the river have taken away a big chunk of acres, and the cold, and extremely wet past 2 weeks made a crust that baby beans can’t break through. From April 21 to 28, I was planting soybeans in near-perfect conditions, but 3 periods of heavy rains (8.8″ altogether) along with the very cold nights, did them in.
Here’s the view from the seat of the JD 9330 tractor. Replanting soybeans is underway.
Looking back, you can even see some dust raised by the air drill. Surprising after that 2.3″ of rain last Wednesday night!
The White River is supposed to be back in its banks today at Edwardsport. We are unsure just how long it will take for those flooded fields to dry enough for #replant17. Hopefully, that will be this month.
Saturday, May 13, 2017
We are loving the weather forecast! Looks like we’re in for a streak of warm and dry days! And the baby corn and soybeans (the ones that survived the flooding) are loving that too.
The next several days are looking great! Maybe we can begin inching in on the replanting…
Had a late night last night. Pat and I drove over to St. Louis for a Cardinals’ game. We were guests of the Nat’l FFA organization, and we were fortunate enough to be hosted in the Monsanto suite. It was a neat time. We met a young farmer and his wife (@rmellenc on Twitter), some people who work at Monsanto, and some folks with national farm organizations.
We enjoyed everything about the evening…except the final score of the game… the Cubs won 3-2. Still, it was fun to be there, and the weather was perfect!
There was some excitement for Cards’ fans with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, as an error allowed Wong to reach 1st base, and the 2nd run to score… but the game ended before another run could come across the plate.
It was a long 3 hours home, but we made it across Illinois on US 50, with very light traffic!
Thursday, May 11, 2017
Yes, it did it again! Overnight, we received 1.9″ of rain, and by this afternoon, the rainfall totaled 2.2″ today (56mm). The WASCoBs were filled again, but most have drained out by afternoon. Field work is stopped again, after only one day (since April 29) of planting yesterday. We will be looking toward next week to return to #plant17 or #replant17.
White River is slowing receding. Today’s forecast has it back within its banks on Tuesday.
Have a great weekend!
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
It is now exactly one month to the day from when #plant17 began. The corn planting wrapped up in 10 days. On April 28, I was 1.5 days away from being done with soybean planting. Then the big rains came, locally and across Indiana. Now, we have some significant #replant17 to do! The fields along White River are still flooded, so those will wait for many days. Today was our first day back in the fields to plant. I was able to ‘go’ on the Dunn farm, on those steep hillsides. Only the Lett farm remains unplanted (the first time).
Chugging along at the Dunn farm. Parts of these fields are pretty steep. We think that’s why it dried out here before other locations.
I returned to do some replant at Roberson, Pond, and Cox. 44.7 acres replant altogether this afternoon. So, it felt good to be in the tractor again, and the warm sunshine was a bonus. We are hoping the return of warm temperatures will spur the un-emerged soybeans to come on out of the ground! Some rain is predicted for tomorrow.
Our Grubb field, along US 50 near White River, still has significant flooding.
White River has started down, and should be out of this field by Saturday evening. It is predicted to be completely back in its banks by next Tuesday. It’ll take 5-6 days to dry out enough to reenter to replant…