Tuesday, February 23, 2016
Ross and Rhoda are back on the farm after about 6 weeks down in Florida. They must have missed the cold, huh?
We spent most of yesterday morning here in the farm office, meeting with representatives of Climate Corporation, discussing the use of their FieldView information systems. We have been looking for a way to seamlessly tie together the information generated by our John Deere Greenstar and CaseIH AFS systems. The FieldView Plus programming seems like one way to do that. There are other options available, each with particular strengths and weaknesses. Dow/Pioneer Encirca has some applicability, as well as the offerings from Granular Corporation. All the benefits of each information system must be weighed against the cost, especially now when crop prices are depressed. I hope we are nearing a decision, for that will affect the way our corn and soybean planting information is captured and managed. If we make this change, we will need to be completely up-to-speed before the planters run!
We are also going to the Nellie farm today, on the banks of the White River. The fields may be somewhat soft, so the Gator will assist us to get from the road to the river’s edge. We will be forming a specific plan there for the repair of the levee that protects the Nellie farm from flood damage. When a levee fails, the adjoining field gets severely damaged, with severe scour erosion and deep deposits of sand. We now have our repair permit finally in hand from Indiana DNR, and we are ready for the work to commence, as weather and soil conditions allow. This repair feels ‘urgent’.
It is a very beautiful, sunny and cool day in southwest Indiana. Rain is predicted (100% chance) for tonight.